Australian Rules Football is arguably the most beloved sport in Australia. Whilst the NRL’s fan base contained to NSW and Queensland, the AFL has a long history throughout the entire country and generates more revenue than any other sporting code in Australia, more than double the next highest earning sport code – cricket.
With Australians gambling the most per-capita in the world, and AFL being the most popular sport in Australia, it is no surprise that AFL betting is extremely popular amongst fans.
How do you bet on the AFL?
- Sign up an account with bookmakers online – do this with multiple bookies to get lots of bonus bets!
- Once registered, make a deposit into your account – most betting firms support bank deposit, credit card, POLI, Cheque, Paypal, and more
- Verify your account within 3 months of joining
- Find the AFL market you want to bet on – most bookmakers will have a search function, or simply find it by navigating to the market you want.
- There are many options to bet on for the AFL, consider the following:
- Match Winner
- Total Points Scored
- Winning Margin
- Player performance bets
- Half time / Full time result
In fact, some bookmakers offer as many as 80 or more betting options to bet on a single match. So whatever your area of expertise in football, you’re bound to find what you want to bet on.
- Click on the team you want to bet on, and then enter your stake – the amount you want to bet
- The bookmaker will automatically calculate how much you can win from your bet and display it for you. For instance, if you bet on a team that is paying 3.50 odds and you put $100 on them, you will get a return of $350 from your bet if it wins. If it was a 5.00 odds bet, it would be a $500 return and so on.
Where can you bet on the AFL?
These are the main bookmakers in Australia that accept bets on AFL matches. It makes sense to join more than one bookmaker so that you can get the best value odds as well as the best promotions. Joining a single bookmaker is limiting the amount you can win on your bets.
Tips for betting on the AFL
- Look through all the matches on offer in the round
- Price up the matches, based on your expected results – for instance if a team is paying $3.00 and you think they have a 50-50 chance of winning and should be closer to 2.0 odds, back it!
- If you have 2 or more bets that you are very confident of, consider putting them together as a ‘multi bet’. This multiplies the odds together for the two matches and gives you a much bigger payout. For example, if you bet $100 on a multi where the odds for two teams are 3.00 and 3.00, then your combined odds will be 9.00 so you will win $900 if both teams win.
- Look for promotions – Sportsbet regularly offers money back offers if your team leads at halftime and loses the match, and other bookmakers also often offer promotions where you get cash back if only one leg of your 4-team multi bet loses. So always keep on top of the best promotions around. Complete our Sports Survey and we will email you regular updates on promotional offers so you never miss out.
AFL betting is an excellent way to build up your balance if you know how to spot good value bets. If you aren’t confident enough to choose a majority of winners, select your top 1 or 2 matches each week. Don’t wager more than 5% of your betting balance in one hit, this will help to cover if you go on hot/cold streaks to preserve your bankroll.
Look at odds comparison sites and bet where you get the best odds. This will require signing up with all the major bookmakers. Use the links below to sign up with each bookmaker and get the amazing betting bonuses. Once signed up, check with the bookmaker for all the latest promotions available.
If you like to watch sports live, several bookmakers offer live streaming services where you can watch NBA games, tennis matches and more. Sportsbet, Bet365 all offer live streaming. The best bookmaker for AFL live streaming is Crownbet. Sign up with Crownbet to gain access to AFL Live Vision. You can stream every match live to your mobile for free. Crownbet is the official betting partner of the AFL, sign up below and get $600 in bonus bets when you register and deposit $400 –giving you a $1,000 balance to bet with!
Sign up and take part in the Sport Survey on this site and make your opinion known – you will automatically go in the draw for fantastic prizes and we will send you the best offers related to your sporting interests.